It is really starting to get hot out there! May ended and the shock of warm weather makes me think “summer has come!”
Who was I kidding? This is summer!
If you’re looking for a way to cool off, so is Fido! In these hot months it’s so important to stay in-tune and connected with our four-legged companions because as fun as it is in the sun, they get even more uncomfortable than we do in the heat.
That language barrier though… is that a happy pant or a hot pant? Let’s take some of the guesswork out of communicating with our pets by taking some hot-dog initiative!
7 Ways To Keep Our Hot Dogs Cool!
Inside and out, our dogs get hot!
- Keep them hydrated with lots of water: Bring water with you, know where water sources are, and keep that bowl filled!
- Take them for a swim: Even if “swim” means a wallow in the mud!
- Give them cold treats: What better way to cool off than a nice icy fruit-sicle?
- Play in the shade: It will feel cooler and the ground won’t be as hot on Fido’s paws.
- Take them out for walks at the beginning and end of the day when it’s cooler: If there’s not enough shade to play, wait for the sun to be out of the way!
- Keep them out of hot cars: This is a no-brainer, but even a quick trip into the grocery store is too long in the hot sun. As much as we love them, if they can’t come in with us, leave them home! If you spot a dog in a hot car, contact your local authorities ASAP.
- Check the sidewalk or walking path: Hold the back of your hand on the ground for five seconds. If it’s too hot for you, it’s too hot for your dog!
Do you have a favorite place or tip that your dogs loves when the temps start to rise?